Skip to main content

Missing the hugs of mother nature


The last days I have been feeling a bit down, restless, but without energy to apparently do much about it, and somehow stuck, I have tried to convince myself that it is probably that dear PMS that is rocking my world again, but I do not know, I think it is something else too.

Maybe I am feeling home sick? I thought about that too, all those people, and all that what I am used to, our little cultural things, the humor, the duck-pond that is like nowhere else..

.... And yes, I miss that, but that has been my life for so long, and for many parts, at least when it comes to the study life I have gotten older, old.. and so many of my fellow previous graduate friends back there are spread out, physically and calendar wise, and in a lot of ways I knew that for a long time I had needed something new in my life, and I still do,
so I am happy to be here, lucky, which I remind myself of even during days like these.

So homesick, yes, but there is another, bigger, yet more subtle element to it, something I can feel in my bones that is causing this restlessness and feeling of being stuck. The longing to always be close nature, and I do not mean parks or man made beaches;

The quiet, the small places, the secluded, the water, the sea, the pine-trees and birch growing over a moss covered rock, embraced by the small waves, the quiet following of the birds, the freedom to take of your rain-boots, the dipping of the toes in any weather and the pine-cones that now float beneath your feat.
    .... Where I have lived, where I have been brought up, there has always been water, there has always been the sea. I know it sounds ridiculous, considering that even now it is only a bus-ride away, but here the sea is further, I can not run to catch my breath somewhere close to mother nature, this campus is like a brick of monopoly, big,  quite squared and wherever you turn it all looks the same. I miss the small paths where the beginning does not show the end right away.

I realize how lucky I am to have been brought up somewhere so far out there, And even then in that city, the nature is still always so close.

I miss home, I miss the air, I miss the sound of nature in my ear, I am not a big city girl and I will never be, but for now let us see where this world will take me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My dream way of living; minimal housing, community, flexibility, nature, adventure

For a few years now I have wanted to live in a tiny house on wheels;           a mobile, ecological, minimalist grandmas cottage. Big windows, wooden floors, natural and warm yet bright surfaces,with pops of color (sunflower yellow kitchen cabinets, turquoise tiles or a single tea-pot) and Moroccan and Scottish throws and pillows. A spacious bedroom loft with a window in the ceiling, a small and not too heavy fireplace to keep the house warm during the winter (or just to boil tea and that cozy factor), a tiny wooden sauna room at the back with an inbuilt shower and half of a giant whisky barrel which could serve both as a sauna seat and bath tub. Storage space under the stairs (my goal is to have as little "stuff" as possible), a dinner table that comes up from the floor when needed, a couch/storage by the window. Wheels underneath to get to new exciting locations when needed (for work, other responsibilities or due to climate change), a few wooden fold box...

In a year

Do things feel like they are not going anywhere, like you are stomping your feet on the same piece of ground ? Has your heart just been broken ? Are you asking yourself; will I ever get over this.. does this pattern just repeat itself. I feel this way sometimes... stuck... in pain... in an emotional rut.. you name it....sniffling and incapable to see the light, although to be fair.. that light.. even in the darkest of times does, in small glimpses, a little here and there, make it through to reach my receptive self. But seeing the small pieces can sometimes be an exhausting process....in this piece I wanted to concentrate on something else, something bigger. The Magic in a Year. If you think back on last year.. how much has changed, how many bigger or minor heartbreaks have you concurred (and yes.. not still faced..) and how has your view on the world broadened ? How many adventures (some more sudden) has the past year taken you on ? How has your life changed within that year ? ...

Life observations

I decided to make a list of observations I made here in my little London life the past month. - Here on Stroud Green Road, Next to the Big Yellow car-wash  there was an injured pigeon walking the street, a cat was chasing it. The bird could not fly and had no chance, a man came and picked up the pigeon and moved him to a safe location, my faith in humanity was restored. - I explained to the fire-alarm, (as it went off) not to worry- it was only burned toast. - If you observe me you will find that I always apologies to furniture I bump into. As I hit my toe I will most likely say something along these lines; "I'm sorry.. Ouuch.. &%#?, Ouuch.. And then I laugh or cry depending on the damage. I wonder how I would react if the door suddenly replied with a British politeness, - I am starting to realize that I am a little bit of Ted Mosby, Bridget Jones and the foxes that scream outside my window at night, non of them never give up on whatever they are fighting for. - ...