Skip to main content

Little Sparrow (about self perception)


I wanted to write down something about self perception. How our looks, physical strength and the way we sound and come across to others, affect the way we see ourselves, how we feel about ourselves. My mission here wasn't to write about the make-up on our face or that eye catching dress we could wear. But rather the people...humans we are. The ones we will always be.

For a long time I had quite a low confidence. That low confidence came from how I perceived myself, and I still struggle with that from time to time. You see I knew I was small, short, clumsy, sometimes a bit chubby (boys nickname for me in Pre-school was Christmas ham) and later just small as a twig. I had struggles in finding that voice inside, and when I did I was afraid that that voice was too big- not suitable to this body of mine. I was afraid of being too loud.. too annoying.. I became quiet...awkward... and at moments invisible trying to keep the awkwardness away from daylight.

Sometimes it sprang out like a little sparrow.. these days more like an occasional ostrich.

Today I still look at my small wrists, my height, all the space I dont fill.. and occasionally feel like half of a woman. Like theres so much I would want to say...but my physical presence just wont let me.. I'm here.. down here… next to...behind..all the normal sized.. can you see me ? And even if you do, can you truly see me ? I'm afraid sometimes that due to my size (as I slip to viewing myself) those I meet fail to take me seriously.

We have all had our insecurities.. we all still do, but there are certain things we can not change; weather its height, the size of our hands, lifelong health problems, a studder or a disability. We can however work on is how we perceive ourselves. How do we look at that person in that room with all the others? Confidence (a healthy one), that helps us stand firmly in that room - grows from that self perception. How far have you come ? How many battles have you not given up on ? What is your secret for strength ? 
Who are You ?

I often think about being a role-model for my younger self. I do it for her, I walk into that room with confidence (or try my best too) for her, no matter how I feel about my presence and physic. I want to show her what she-I had within me all along. 

Also do not let others opinions (or social media scales on success) direct the way you perceive yourself. Don't let others value your strength. You are the only one who knows how far you truly come. Little things can raise our spirits, self view and confidence more than we think. Whether its about us managing to lift a new weight, building up an Ikea shelf, hiking hills or public speaking. 

We know ourselves the best- we know our own limits, we know when we reached a level beyond, no one else can tell us how much we should be able to- in order to feel good and see the strength within ourselves. Strength isn't about how much we can lift or for how long we can run. How fast we learn or how good speeches we can give without our own interruption.Its about how we can see our own little victories. See a lion in each step we take.  

Once we reach a milestone of our own, we can feel ourselves grow and see that strength that was always there ...underneath it all. I know I can now, more then I used to believe I could.

Me- (and this little body of mine) were tumbling around sand, rock and surfboard, over and over under those waves. and every single time I got up again. I had the strength and will, and kept on going. I know I have the courage for a firm presence yet caring voice when im talking with a social service client in distress. Getting reminded of that internalized skill during my last training made me feel like I grew quite a bit, (like 2 cm :D)  I know I can 
climb coastal treks on my own, get myself home before sunset. 

My wrists are weak yes and I will always be this small, but through piece by piece believing in me I´ve learned that I am strong.
We should feel proud of ourselves, and walk with our head held high. Even if we sometimes (like myself) might be mistaken for a 12 year old child.

And I don't care if my voice sometimes gets "too" deep or high, it will show you me as I am in that moment (even spring out excitement and laughter) and thats alright. With this once in a while ostrich thats all fine. 

So don't pull yourself back in the fear of judgement,
You know who You are

(Ps, you are perfect- just as you are) 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go - Do it for You (about the fear of solo-travel, not about crossing the Serengeti)

Solo-travel and exploring on your own often seems to be something that's considered too big of  an hurdle, an  uncomfortable area we`d rather avoid. As wolves we are more comfortable in a pack. I used to think like this myself. The thing is however, that we often (as singles in a busy world) find ourselves alone when we would have the time for an adventure. Schedules don't fit.  - Then there's of-course the differences in interests as well, and as being without a partner no one is  "obligated" (please take with sarcasm :D) to go with you on your holiday to extraordinary locations and events.  But hey, that said; - what a perfect time for you to do exactly what you always dreamed of ! All I want to say is go for it.   Don't sit around waiting for "maybe another time" due to the fear, and I'm not talking about the fear of being scared that something might happen on the way (that doesn't seem to be the first thing that pops into

Grandpas legacy

My grandpa passed away some years ago. For a long time during my teenage years and some into adulthood I felt light-years away from him, in our morals and teachings to follow. I was only looking at him like a priest, with his bible, a hungry need for being in the spotlight (he was a well liked radio host, preacher, author, playwright, ceremony holder, documentary film maker, pilgrim arranger, met the pope once- you name it). When I was feeling down at the age of 17 he wrote me a letter about watching more of TV7 (a local conservative evangelical christian channel), he told me it made his days brighter and that I should try it too. PS. He was not conservative, I think. We never talked much- not really. He had 3 grandchildren.  I do not think that he ever really knew me, and neither did I take my time to view him as a person behind the priesthood which he so often talked about . But when I look back on him now- as I found myself and stand supported, I can see past the job he had chosen (

To all my busy friends, show up in my life too- it matters

I would run cartwheels right where I stood if you showed up at my doorstep, if you suddenly sat in the audience during my Indian dance or Improv theater performance.  I would remember it forever if you showed up at the airport to say goodbye for now or welcome back,  I would love for you to ask me where in the world I am at.  I would love for you to reach out to me and ask us to read the same book simultaneously and then meet over coffee to share our thoughts, It doesn't take much time out of your schedule or much effort of sorts, just a suggestion, a thought.  I would love to go out for a joint run or jog- maybe for once right here in my hood- you could use my studio apartments little one person shower,  My home, my little wonderful life- You know you are welcome here too.  Meet me in my life, see where I live and what I do, it might not be marriage and children, or a big suburban house with a yard, but it is me, your friend- still hanging on at the other end.  Someone who shows u