Skip to main content

This Nightmare

I woke up from a nightmare- the world was falling, borders where closing, a pandemic had raised, and he- the love of my life, was stuck on the other side. The Atlantic Ocean is a big divide. We where supposed to build a future after 6 months apart, but this would have to wait until it was safe- until we could be reunited without restrains.

As I opened my eyes and looked at the news, it all came running back to me, this pandemic was running free- with humanity trying to stop it from spreading rapidly. Outside there was a sunny Sunday and the birds where singing peacefully.

Death is not a current number in the country that we hide, but it is set before us with living examples, it is just a question of time.

Okey- so now I will change the tone, I am getting scared just here on my own. We are all in this together- not alone, so lets work together and let it show. 

I wonder "Do I have it Do I have it" every hour of the day- keeping track of any relatable symptom and hoping there will be a mandatory test on its way. So far this country is relaying on that sick people stay away. But my breathing got heavy just the other day, then my hearth threw a beatbox and I panicked straight away- I called my work medical hotline in the middle of the night- told them my symptoms and they said I was fine, - 'but just in case of hearth-problems reach out to the public hospital, alright ?'  So I did- and they said I sound just fine, but recommended an EKG (hearth-rhythm) scan to be taken the next day or that same night. I went in the following morning- to those hospitals we have been told to avoid- had a scan and checked my lungs for breathing- all tests came out fine.

I was told it was panic and should stop to follow the news for a while, I was sent on my way with no sickness leave in mind, I take the tube and wash my hands, feel guilty for "what if " all the time. But I have to keep going I guess- until I cough, get a fever or am simply told otherwise.
This virus will catch us all in no time. Let's just hope that most of us survive. The medical staff should receive all the funding (here in the north we can make a pact to live on less) and anyone who is tested virus free or now considered immune could help- and how about medical students and immigrants with medical degrees- lets get everyone on board please.

Don´t visit grandma- she needs more oxygen to breathe. Leave her alone, for 2 weeks at least.

But besides the virus medical impact, what else can we do ? As people stay at home they might not have enough food- we can gather our strengths, help to deliver essentials to the door- and maybe a present (like a good book, a game or some sweets) for those long days behind doors. This is where the small local businesses come in- help them get through this virus inflicted recession that is already closing in. Help them stand on their feet with head above water- keep jobs alive and the tax money coming in- keeping the economy afloat will have a bigger impact that you might think. Consider it a much needed donation for the society we want to keep living in. Yes I know, what about personal savings ?- I too was saving for my future ahead, but there is no future if society is dead. So I will spend small sums here and there, (their gift-cards for future use can be bought online if you simply can not make it there)- without forgetting the rest of the world that is out there somewhere- still focus your finances on companies that do good. And help out wherever you can- like you always should.
Lets not forget each-other, make this new society a team of hearts that could.

If you still decide to travel and take that non-cancelled trip you booked, please do the same, do what you can with your tourist position- even if it is only one cafe. I am sure it helps in some way.

Pause, breathe (if you can), and be smart on whichever moves you have planned, isolate if needed and the world will live tomorrow still, stay safe, love your neighbor and think hopefully ahead. I know this is all scary and far bigger than we can comprehend- but remember that as we stand still the pollution we caused on mother earth is disappearing- maybe after this, we all get a new beginning. 


and don't hoard on toilet paper- please, don't be silly.   






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go - Do it for You (about the fear of solo-travel, not about crossing the Serengeti)

Solo-travel and exploring on your own often seems to be something that's considered too big of  an hurdle, an  uncomfortable area we`d rather avoid. As wolves we are more comfortable in a pack. I used to think like this myself. The thing is however, that we often (as singles in a busy world) find ourselves alone when we would have the time for an adventure. Schedules don't fit.  - Then there's of-course the differences in interests as well, and as being without a partner no one is  "obligated" (please take with sarcasm :D) to go with you on your holiday to extraordinary locations and events.  But hey, that said; - what a perfect time for you to do exactly what you always dreamed of ! All I want to say is go for it.   Don't sit around waiting for "maybe another time" due to the fear, and I'm not talking about the fear of being scared that something might happen on the way (that doesn't seem to be the first thing that pops into

Grandpas legacy

My grandpa passed away some years ago. For a long time during my teenage years and some into adulthood I felt light-years away from him, in our morals and teachings to follow. I was only looking at him like a priest, with his bible, a hungry need for being in the spotlight (he was a well liked radio host, preacher, author, playwright, ceremony holder, documentary film maker, pilgrim arranger, met the pope once- you name it). When I was feeling down at the age of 17 he wrote me a letter about watching more of TV7 (a local conservative evangelical christian channel), he told me it made his days brighter and that I should try it too. PS. He was not conservative, I think. We never talked much- not really. He had 3 grandchildren.  I do not think that he ever really knew me, and neither did I take my time to view him as a person behind the priesthood which he so often talked about . But when I look back on him now- as I found myself and stand supported, I can see past the job he had chosen (

To all my busy friends, show up in my life too- it matters

I would run cartwheels right where I stood if you showed up at my doorstep, if you suddenly sat in the audience during my Indian dance or Improv theater performance.  I would remember it forever if you showed up at the airport to say goodbye for now or welcome back,  I would love for you to ask me where in the world I am at.  I would love for you to reach out to me and ask us to read the same book simultaneously and then meet over coffee to share our thoughts, It doesn't take much time out of your schedule or much effort of sorts, just a suggestion, a thought.  I would love to go out for a joint run or jog- maybe for once right here in my hood- you could use my studio apartments little one person shower,  My home, my little wonderful life- You know you are welcome here too.  Meet me in my life, see where I live and what I do, it might not be marriage and children, or a big suburban house with a yard, but it is me, your friend- still hanging on at the other end.  Someone who shows u