Skip to main content

Grandpas legacy


My grandpa passed away some years ago. For a long time during my teenage years and some into adulthood I felt light-years away from him, in our morals and teachings to follow. I was only looking at him like a priest, with his bible, a hungry need for being in the spotlight (he was a well liked radio host, preacher, author, playwright, ceremony holder, documentary film maker, pilgrim arranger, met the pope once- you name it). When I was feeling down at the age of 17 he wrote me a letter about watching more of TV7 (a local conservative evangelical christian channel), he told me it made his days brighter and that I should try it too. PS. He was not conservative, I think. We never talked much- not really. He had 3 grandchildren. 

I do not think that he ever really knew me, and neither did I take my time to view him as a person behind the priesthood which he so often talked about . But when I look back on him now- as I found myself and stand supported, I can see past the job he had chosen (not that there was anything wrong with it). I can see his travelling spirit, his passion for meeting and connecting with people all across the world and cultures, even across religions. I can see his need to multitask- struggle to sit still. He was always looking for the next project or juggling multiple at once. Collecting memorabilia from his adventures. 

I see our similarities more and more as I keep on growing. 

I can see his love for culture. His love to create, be apart, build a legacy. As a side note he was also really interested in family trees, lineage and heritage. Finding his roots, what those people did in this world and where they were now, finding a secret older sister born out of wedlock. He wanted life to matter and puzzles to be complete (side-note, he loved jigsaws too). 

But most importantly (and what this post was truly about), was that- despite it all (and now that I remember little glimpses in retrospect) he had an ability to enjoy the smallest of things. He had a happy childlike mind. At least to the outside world; my grandma did later find letters that he had written in the night- he wanted to express how worried he was about his heart and little nibs he could feel- but did not want to worry her, so he wrote, and hid the letters. 

He was always interested in anything that could pick up the day one bit further, the frosting on the cake. And with his positive mindset anything could be a frosting. He biked for the mail solely for the adventure (and exercise) as long as his body and mind could carry him. He was always stopping neighbors and people he knew (or anyone who seemed to need a chat). And his friends and aqueintences did the same to him. The day could always unfold at least a little adventure- big or small. 

Memories were to be created. 

And life was to be lived

He always had a camera around his neck and the phone in his pocket, he made albums and slide film boxes with added descriptive texts. 

If anyone asked him to join them on their sailing-boat he was there at the minute they docked, and if invited for an extempore cruise he was ready in a heartbeat. You may never know, if this day would be your last, or at least the last in an still functioning body and mind. Live your life to the fullest and never let a day pass you by. 

Despite the obvious ichy gene that has passed over to me, I´ve had to learn to slow down, sometimes life happens where you least see it. It lays in simply being present.

Therefore; one of my fondest memories of him was catching him just simply eating ice-cream at the steps to the island village shop. Old man sitting on the stone stairs, with the sun shining and him enjoying some old (ancient) favorite, like a vanilla stick or a blueberry cone. Sometimes lightly humming a tune. Like a child in the 1930´s. He had never lost him. 

The gratitude in his eyes, the adventure in the moment, the smallest of things. Yet probably most important. You see if we do not find happiness in life in just "that" then were does or mind go while we are chasing?

Adventure, create, chase.. sure. 

But more than that,

Embrace every moment, and what you already have.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go - Do it for You (about the fear of solo-travel, not about crossing the Serengeti)

Solo-travel and exploring on your own often seems to be something that's considered too big of  an hurdle, an  uncomfortable area we`d rather avoid. As wolves we are more comfortable in a pack. I used to think like this myself. The thing is however, that we often (as singles in a busy world) find ourselves alone when we would have the time for an adventure. Schedules don't fit.  - Then there's of-course the differences in interests as well, and as being without a partner no one is  "obligated" (please take with sarcasm :D) to go with you on your holiday to extraordinary locations and events.  But hey, that said; - what a perfect time for you to do exactly what you always dreamed of ! All I want to say is go for it.   Don't sit around waiting for "maybe another time" due to the fear, and I'm not talking about the fear of being scared that something might happen on the way (that doesn't seem to be the first thing that pops into

To all my busy friends, show up in my life too- it matters

I would run cartwheels right where I stood if you showed up at my doorstep, if you suddenly sat in the audience during my Indian dance or Improv theater performance.  I would remember it forever if you showed up at the airport to say goodbye for now or welcome back,  I would love for you to ask me where in the world I am at.  I would love for you to reach out to me and ask us to read the same book simultaneously and then meet over coffee to share our thoughts, It doesn't take much time out of your schedule or much effort of sorts, just a suggestion, a thought.  I would love to go out for a joint run or jog- maybe for once right here in my hood- you could use my studio apartments little one person shower,  My home, my little wonderful life- You know you are welcome here too.  Meet me in my life, see where I live and what I do, it might not be marriage and children, or a big suburban house with a yard, but it is me, your friend- still hanging on at the other end.  Someone who shows u