Skip to main content

Body Image


Naked bodies. Thank god for those. And No, I am not talking about a surgically enhanced cover of a magazine. Or any add for any make-up or wrinkle cream.. something to to tuck things in, straighten out a wrinkle, a stretch mark. you name it.

I am talking about bodies, Real Bodies. Life.

A few weeks ago my good friend mentioned to me about how thankful she is, and how lucky we are as Finns, to have grown up with nudity, saunas and PE- classes at the local pool- with changing rooms for all the generations.

To from the age of 8 get to see breast thrown up over a shoulder, big granny pants, shower caps and hair in places that Cosmopolitan would not dare to mention it in its newest section on smooth summer skin. That is being lucky. So damn lucky.

We know what real women look like. A body changes with life. Without that change the one inside it would not have fully lived. To see the determined face as she enters the pool. A wrinkled laughter, all parts sagging- slightly loose. She finds happiness in life even when half her circle of friends have past on to the other side. She keeps on living even though her body shows us elderness, the last years- in all its signs.That is strength and beauty alright.

And her image- that, is what we should desire to achieve.

I do not want to be a freaking model. I want to be that Granny. I would be a 85 year old real life rock star for gods sake.

And how about all those other women. Stretch marks. Scars. Uneven breasts. Flat chest. Heavy breasts that require a support bra, back-pain. shaved legs, unshaven legs. 15 sweaty women and girls in a sauna- most of them strangers to each other. That is one big life lecture right there.

Nobody looks like on a cover of a magazine.
So lets stop the act, let us stop trying to achieve that.


And do not get me wrong, I slip once in a while.

I hate my twiggy arms, bulky shoulders and uneven hip (love handles for everybody !).
My body hair is a frequent enemy, alright.

But with the iron ladies of the changing room, I can think more clear.
A valuable life lesson I will forever hold dear.


PE- classes out in the community facilities should be mandatory,
I am sure that most of our young girls self hatred would disappear.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My dream way of living; minimal housing, community, flexibility, nature, adventure

For a few years now I have wanted to live in a tiny house on wheels;           a mobile, ecological, minimalist grandmas cottage. Big windows, wooden floors, natural and warm yet bright surfaces,with pops of color (sunflower yellow kitchen cabinets, turquoise tiles or a single tea-pot) and Moroccan and Scottish throws and pillows. A spacious bedroom loft with a window in the ceiling, a small and not too heavy fireplace to keep the house warm during the winter (or just to boil tea and that cozy factor), a tiny wooden sauna room at the back with an inbuilt shower and half of a giant whisky barrel which could serve both as a sauna seat and bath tub. Storage space under the stairs (my goal is to have as little "stuff" as possible), a dinner table that comes up from the floor when needed, a couch/storage by the window. Wheels underneath to get to new exciting locations when needed (for work, other responsibilities or due to climate change), a few wooden fold box...

In a year

Do things feel like they are not going anywhere, like you are stomping your feet on the same piece of ground ? Has your heart just been broken ? Are you asking yourself; will I ever get over this.. does this pattern just repeat itself. I feel this way sometimes... stuck... in pain... in an emotional rut.. you name it....sniffling and incapable to see the light, although to be fair.. that light.. even in the darkest of times does, in small glimpses, a little here and there, make it through to reach my receptive self. But seeing the small pieces can sometimes be an exhausting process....in this piece I wanted to concentrate on something else, something bigger. The Magic in a Year. If you think back on last year.. how much has changed, how many bigger or minor heartbreaks have you concurred (and yes.. not still faced..) and how has your view on the world broadened ? How many adventures (some more sudden) has the past year taken you on ? How has your life changed within that year ? ...

Life observations

I decided to make a list of observations I made here in my little London life the past month. - Here on Stroud Green Road, Next to the Big Yellow car-wash  there was an injured pigeon walking the street, a cat was chasing it. The bird could not fly and had no chance, a man came and picked up the pigeon and moved him to a safe location, my faith in humanity was restored. - I explained to the fire-alarm, (as it went off) not to worry- it was only burned toast. - If you observe me you will find that I always apologies to furniture I bump into. As I hit my toe I will most likely say something along these lines; "I'm sorry.. Ouuch.. &%#?, Ouuch.. And then I laugh or cry depending on the damage. I wonder how I would react if the door suddenly replied with a British politeness, - I am starting to realize that I am a little bit of Ted Mosby, Bridget Jones and the foxes that scream outside my window at night, non of them never give up on whatever they are fighting for. - ...