Skip to main content

Paw Patrol at the adults table- how its okay to feel like the odd one out

Are you also struggling in social situations when small talk is exchanged ? Do you, like me, feel like a awkwardly jolly firecracker or a burst of rainbows trying to fit in with the beige that the situation seems to require and everyone else seems content with and managing ? I often wonder how it seems to come so easy to others..

-Side note;  I'm lucky to say that through finding myself later in adult life I have found hobbies that fit my personality- and friends who do not look or walk away, but join me in my charades or big deep and sudden topics(and who's brain seems to vividly and unapologetically work the same way). Also, similar to you or not- true friends will adore (and sometimes tolerate) your silly ways. 

Its not to say that I can't act plain, I can play the beige card- laugh subtly, not make too much noise, stay calm and only stick to beige topics, like; hows school, hows work, hows the food, was it a long drive.. ? And I can even stay quiet, shove myself aside. Note here that listening is always important and a skill to work on, but that is not the quiet I am talking about here.  I am talking about the quiet when you fade yourself away, in order not to embarrass yourself- or avoid the otherwise inevitable of causing awkwardness around you if you dare to open your mouth; the firecracker of rainbows (also known as extroverted nervousness) in this room full of beige. 

Small-talk especially among those I know- or those "almost" acquaintances is one of those things that seems to make me itchy, my brain wants to do cartwheels but all I (often. not always) get from those around me is silent looks... I try again.. (I sometimes wonder why my dear brain does that...) same response.. and there where years when I felt mortified for the silence I had caused, if not right after then as I went through the social interactions of the day.. this is- after years of often being too afraid to take part at all- but simply watching from the sidelines as others joined in. I no longer care (as much or often) of what others think or thought when I had opened my mouth to contribute (and maybe its the anxiety meds), but either way I am grateful that I can more unapologetically be myself. 

I still often, awkwardly so, end up pointing out something out of the blue that does not fit in to the general conversation that I am assuming is being had across the table..but I rather be me then subtle. Life is too short to stay back. 

At the latest family and friend celebration (my nieces christening) everyone was talking about- I guess the weather, or the cake.. who knows ? And I casually announced that I can come an entertain the kids currently present (still babies as we speak), once they have grown up a bit and get into either a non stop Disney Frozen or Paw Patrol phase (a savior aunt or what ??), after which I turned to my slightly depressed grandma to explain to her what these things (and Peppa Pig) are and what all these characters like to do.- dad tried to help by mentioning me and my sisters love for My little Ponies (thanks dad <3) Anyway, I soon  noticed myself singing the respective tune of Paw Patrol with a kids enthusiasm to my sister and the new godmothers across the table..  My brain (and therefore mouth) mentioned these children's characters a few times more as we later all helped out to clean the venue and do the dishes. I might not come of as the most sophisticated grown up (note- I also work with these childrens characters on a daily bases)- but I sure as hell will be one funky aunt. Future suitors be aware- we are not compatible if you are easily embarrassed at social gatherings, but if you are in it-wholeheartedly- I will make you laugh, just bare with me. 

So, dear friend, as long as I am kind to those around, and try my best to listen and be present- I can be myself in a room and around a table of others (even in scenarios and among those that are far more beige and socially sophisticated than I will ever be). I can do so without holding back, because why should I have to be any less ? 

I am just the right amount of me. 

And if you (like me), often feel like the odd one out, let that shine (life is less boring then), trust me <3




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go - Do it for You (about the fear of solo-travel, not about crossing the Serengeti)

Solo-travel and exploring on your own often seems to be something that's considered too big of  an hurdle, an  uncomfortable area we`d rather avoid. As wolves we are more comfortable in a pack. I used to think like this myself. The thing is however, that we often (as singles in a busy world) find ourselves alone when we would have the time for an adventure. Schedules don't fit.  - Then there's of-course the differences in interests as well, and as being without a partner no one is  "obligated" (please take with sarcasm :D) to go with you on your holiday to extraordinary locations and events.  But hey, that said; - what a perfect time for you to do exactly what you always dreamed of ! All I want to say is go for it.   Don't sit around waiting for "maybe another time" due to the fear, and I'm not talking about the fear of being scared that something might happen on the way (that doesn't seem to be the first thing that pops into

Grandpas legacy

My grandpa passed away some years ago. For a long time during my teenage years and some into adulthood I felt light-years away from him, in our morals and teachings to follow. I was only looking at him like a priest, with his bible, a hungry need for being in the spotlight (he was a well liked radio host, preacher, author, playwright, ceremony holder, documentary film maker, pilgrim arranger, met the pope once- you name it). When I was feeling down at the age of 17 he wrote me a letter about watching more of TV7 (a local conservative evangelical christian channel), he told me it made his days brighter and that I should try it too. PS. He was not conservative, I think. We never talked much- not really. He had 3 grandchildren.  I do not think that he ever really knew me, and neither did I take my time to view him as a person behind the priesthood which he so often talked about . But when I look back on him now- as I found myself and stand supported, I can see past the job he had chosen (

To all my busy friends, show up in my life too- it matters

I would run cartwheels right where I stood if you showed up at my doorstep, if you suddenly sat in the audience during my Indian dance or Improv theater performance.  I would remember it forever if you showed up at the airport to say goodbye for now or welcome back,  I would love for you to ask me where in the world I am at.  I would love for you to reach out to me and ask us to read the same book simultaneously and then meet over coffee to share our thoughts, It doesn't take much time out of your schedule or much effort of sorts, just a suggestion, a thought.  I would love to go out for a joint run or jog- maybe for once right here in my hood- you could use my studio apartments little one person shower,  My home, my little wonderful life- You know you are welcome here too.  Meet me in my life, see where I live and what I do, it might not be marriage and children, or a big suburban house with a yard, but it is me, your friend- still hanging on at the other end.  Someone who shows u