Skip to main content

True friendship invites you in everytime

What does true friendship mean to you ? To me it means that they will dance with you in any room like no one is watching (even though there might be other people around who would roll their eyes, feel second hand embarrassment or share and whisper into the rooms you move through). This dancing is of course a metaphor (but doesn't have to be), it could be referring to opening up, talking deep, listening wholeheartedly to both of your biggest worries or biggest dreams- it does not matter if those around do not think that deep- with me you can be you at any time any place, and I hope I can be that with you too. That is what true friendship means to me. We can laugh out loud or cry if we need to, be  as we are in that moment in time, in good and bad (as long as we work on ourselves, and hold ourselves, and each-other accountable) no-one is left (out of embarrassment) aside. That is a word that true friendship leaves behind. 


When I was a child I was often embarrassed of myself, I often accepted the "pick and choosy"friends as fair. They would have me around when no one was looking, accepted me when the options were few. I felt grateful (and well in knowing) that my presence was an less wanted option for them and a momentarily feeling of being chosen for me. 


"- Be grateful for the tolerance you get", 

and later in life I learned that that lesson of self-worth comes at a price,


"- You will only get accepted a handful of times"


- "And always be grateful if you at least get to sit somewhere waiting on the side- you are not completely pushed aside, just silenced (as you are embarrassing) for a while."


I of course had some other friends too- but I tended to follow this painful lie as the truth, it felt like the correct order of things at the time- They were right and I pushed myself aside. Later in my teens humiliation from a partner and fear of not being wanted/taking the scrapes I got = equaled love (now known to me as abuse) and still years after I am healing the wounds. I learned to see true friends from those who simply pick and choose for the occasion; 

the heart to heart ones who love me (truly) are those I allow to stay. - girlfriends who inform me that I (despite making plans) won`t fit into their crew for the evening and I will have to sit this one aside- I might have bit down on my heart then and accepted- but for many years now, people like that are not worth my soul or time.


I am welcome and so are you, always and every time. There is no "pick and choose for the occasion friendship" or embarrassment for you in my mind. If you want to talk about your belief in magic or witchcraft, the biggest heartbreak, burnout, the toilet paper that got stuck in your shoe as you entered the train or if you simply need to fall down and break, I will be there (to the best of my abilities) no matter the crowd around us, and you should never be ashamed. 


Your company is wanted, do not set yourself aside.


And to those true friends I have and will gain for the years to come, neither do (no longer) I. 


True friendship invites you in just as you are, each and every time. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go - Do it for You (about the fear of solo-travel, not about crossing the Serengeti)

Solo-travel and exploring on your own often seems to be something that's considered too big of  an hurdle, an  uncomfortable area we`d rather avoid. As wolves we are more comfortable in a pack. I used to think like this myself. The thing is however, that we often (as singles in a busy world) find ourselves alone when we would have the time for an adventure. Schedules don't fit.  - Then there's of-course the differences in interests as well, and as being without a partner no one is  "obligated" (please take with sarcasm :D) to go with you on your holiday to extraordinary locations and events.  But hey, that said; - what a perfect time for you to do exactly what you always dreamed of ! All I want to say is go for it.   Don't sit around waiting for "maybe another time" due to the fear, and I'm not talking about the fear of being scared that something might happen on the way (that doesn't seem to be the first thing that pops into

Grandpas legacy

My grandpa passed away some years ago. For a long time during my teenage years and some into adulthood I felt light-years away from him, in our morals and teachings to follow. I was only looking at him like a priest, with his bible, a hungry need for being in the spotlight (he was a well liked radio host, preacher, author, playwright, ceremony holder, documentary film maker, pilgrim arranger, met the pope once- you name it). When I was feeling down at the age of 17 he wrote me a letter about watching more of TV7 (a local conservative evangelical christian channel), he told me it made his days brighter and that I should try it too. PS. He was not conservative, I think. We never talked much- not really. He had 3 grandchildren.  I do not think that he ever really knew me, and neither did I take my time to view him as a person behind the priesthood which he so often talked about . But when I look back on him now- as I found myself and stand supported, I can see past the job he had chosen (

To all my busy friends, show up in my life too- it matters

I would run cartwheels right where I stood if you showed up at my doorstep, if you suddenly sat in the audience during my Indian dance or Improv theater performance.  I would remember it forever if you showed up at the airport to say goodbye for now or welcome back,  I would love for you to ask me where in the world I am at.  I would love for you to reach out to me and ask us to read the same book simultaneously and then meet over coffee to share our thoughts, It doesn't take much time out of your schedule or much effort of sorts, just a suggestion, a thought.  I would love to go out for a joint run or jog- maybe for once right here in my hood- you could use my studio apartments little one person shower,  My home, my little wonderful life- You know you are welcome here too.  Meet me in my life, see where I live and what I do, it might not be marriage and children, or a big suburban house with a yard, but it is me, your friend- still hanging on at the other end.  Someone who shows u