Skip to main content

My dream way of living; minimal housing, community, flexibility, nature, adventure

For a few years now I have wanted to live in a tiny house on wheels;          

a mobile, ecological, minimalist grandmas cottage. Big windows, wooden floors, natural and warm yet bright surfaces,with pops of color (sunflower yellow kitchen cabinets, turquoise tiles or a single tea-pot) and Moroccan and Scottish throws and pillows. A spacious bedroom loft with a window in the ceiling, a small and not too heavy fireplace to keep the house warm during the winter (or just to boil tea and that cozy factor), a tiny wooden sauna room at the back with an inbuilt shower and half of a giant whisky barrel which could serve both as a sauna seat and bath tub. Storage space under the stairs (my goal is to have as little "stuff" as possible), a dinner table that comes up from the floor when needed, a couch/storage by the window. Wheels underneath to get to new exciting locations when needed (for work, other responsibilities or due to climate change), a few wooden fold boxes for growing herbs, vegetables and flowers in the spring. Solar-power on the roof, but an electric heater option for the darker and colder months. 

Weight; under 3500 kg (to be able to pull behind regular vehicle)

Heights 3,5 meters

Size; around 24- 27 m2 

In my ideal tiny house on wheels world, I could easily rent a plot of land- all the rules and laws regarding this lifestyle would be clear and widely known. I might even buy a plot of land to have as my own- a base which to return too, or something for an unseeable future, a small plot of land is always good to own (if you ask my parents). 

Personal ideology/opinion; Acclaiming vast areas only benefits the few, earth should not just be a dead place to claim- it is for all of us- humans as well as wildlife. Protected natural parks or ecological harvesting fields, when treated right, are the only big areas one organisation/name should be able to"own"). 

There would be tiny house communities everywhere, with close by companionship, yet space for each individual. With activities, helping hands, organic food gardening (yet a supermarket within biking distance), help with childcare (if needed) and a recycling + upcycling hub. Axes for wood chopping, bikes, a grill, gardening tools, cleaning equipment etc would be shared. Not every item needs to multiply. 

You could rent a plot (and a postal box) plus connection to water and electricity, just like you rent a flat. Long term or short. Move with your home where you need or want to be. Life changes, and so does locations of employment. With temporary contracts and seasonal work on the rise- I could adapt to the waves and adventure, without letting life and the beauty of this world pass by. 

The communities would vary in size, and if big enough there would be smaller neighborhoods (yards) within), a few houses with tables and benches for socializing in the middle, maybe a tree and some tinsel lights, a stage for dancing or an open mic night. 

A free box for "Too good to go" food, a little library closet to uplift your mood. Bring one, take one- or leave a note to lend, share your thoughts on what you read. Start a book-club, maybe right at that middle table- get to know your neighbors, while you are still able. 

You could live close to the sea, or up on a hill, maybe in the mountains, or on an island out at sea. Near a city or town with jobs, schools, and good suburban transport, or out among fields is harvest is what you came for. 

I would have a home, small and warm, with nothing much yet everything and all. 

I do not need much, just financial stability, goodhearted humanity, adventures and a good cup of tea. 

And most importantly, the freedom to be me. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a year

Do things feel like they are not going anywhere, like you are stomping your feet on the same piece of ground ? Has your heart just been broken ? Are you asking yourself; will I ever get over this.. does this pattern just repeat itself. I feel this way sometimes... stuck... in pain... in an emotional rut.. you name it....sniffling and incapable to see the light, although to be fair.. that light.. even in the darkest of times does, in small glimpses, a little here and there, make it through to reach my receptive self. But seeing the small pieces can sometimes be an exhausting process....in this piece I wanted to concentrate on something else, something bigger. The Magic in a Year. If you think back on last year.. how much has changed, how many bigger or minor heartbreaks have you concurred (and yes.. not still faced..) and how has your view on the world broadened ? How many adventures (some more sudden) has the past year taken you on ? How has your life changed within that year ? ...

Life observations

I decided to make a list of observations I made here in my little London life the past month. - Here on Stroud Green Road, Next to the Big Yellow car-wash  there was an injured pigeon walking the street, a cat was chasing it. The bird could not fly and had no chance, a man came and picked up the pigeon and moved him to a safe location, my faith in humanity was restored. - I explained to the fire-alarm, (as it went off) not to worry- it was only burned toast. - If you observe me you will find that I always apologies to furniture I bump into. As I hit my toe I will most likely say something along these lines; "I'm sorry.. Ouuch.. &%#?, Ouuch.. And then I laugh or cry depending on the damage. I wonder how I would react if the door suddenly replied with a British politeness, - I am starting to realize that I am a little bit of Ted Mosby, Bridget Jones and the foxes that scream outside my window at night, non of them never give up on whatever they are fighting for. - ...