Skip to main content

Swiping for our Match


So my phone is buzzing, to tell me that Radish, Volvic , Matthew and some bloke from Newham have viewed my profile, yuppiee. I have recently decided to get back in the game, or whatever we kids call it these days. Just to make sure I dont end up an old maid.. or crazy cat lady.. you see Im not that fond of cats. more of a dog person..haha.. 

This modern dating with so called match making apps is a strange world..

When looking for your match...; 
-* Swiping and swiping of pictures of shirtless guys in gyms.. (hint does not impress me at all), Oh you like Puppies, and you just happen to have 5 pictures with the same one, aww how cute. Let me marry you since you like dogs too.. Duck face- skip, waxed eyebrows- skip, posing infront of luxury cars -skip.. Oh you happened to just wake up.. and thats what you look like.. in bed..naked... and hey theres your pillow.. uugh, might need a change of sheets...but he does travel... aaaaand wait for it....; yes it is an unusual find, but he is here - the real life Fifty Shades of Grey man. Yes he wants you to sign a contract.... Skip.-

I started using an app called Badoo. I chose to download it since it said that you can look for people with the same interests in your area. And about those interests..; I could mention my height, my weight, my shape (Oh Yes..) The color of my eyes and my hair for the whole world of Badoo to see. 300 likes from all kinds of men within the first hour. Let me tell you I FEEL LIKE A MEAT BALL ON AUCTION.
The fact that I got messages from total strangers before I even had finished my profile, starting with `- Hey Beautiful, you are just my type XX´, does not make it better. I deleted the app after 3 hours.

Tinder is an oldie where you basically get what you expect. So far Bumble is my hands down favorite, less people who use it so doesn't feel like your drowning, the girl is the one who has to start the conversation, and well, lets be honest, least amount of guys who make you feel uncomfortable.

Carnivore app or not, finding "the match" this modern way is like being an investment, and you can raise your stock market value by putting up pictures and information of you that will get as much attention as possible, from the presumably right type of investors. (I dont speak finance).

        -  Did you know that here in London we have an app called The Inner Circle, where the dream goal apparently is to date a Boss.. that is the man is the boss and the girl is a boss if she dates him.And dating a boss requires certain standards...(so hows your stock market ? Good enough ?)


And how about all the competition; do they look better than me? Is there anything better out there, lets swipe and see...We talk to people while thinking that their exchangeable; to someone similar, with even better assets.

How would you like to use; POF (Plenty of Fish) or OKCupid (just to take that excitement for love out of it..) & how about Hot or Not.. it does have a 4,1 star rating on Google Store..? ( I think you see my point)

We value people based on labels, on what we see. But how would we have felt if we stumbled on them on the street ? 

I dont want to know about your abs, job or car... tell me something real, who you really are ?All I want to tell you, is that I kept singing Valerie by Amy Winehouse as I came in through the door and that just ate 2 brownies.. in my bed once more....

        - I dont think anyone sane really wants to feel like a brick in this game

What I, and probably most of us want, if we could choose, Is to meet someone out there in real life. To meet and get to know a person, a human being. You stumble on the street and they look at you with a smile when you think you look your worst, they comes to ask if you're okey, you chat, exchange numbers. As you wander the street in a slightly nervous conversation they stumbles too. Both of you laugh. Its so sweet and true. (and would be a good movie scene too...)

But the reality is, were too busy to allow the time for a moment like this, let alone notice another individual in the crowd. 
A night out is rarely a good time to get to know anyone and if those singles arent found among your friends of friends.. what are you going to do ? The apps is where we turn too...
we fix our profile to catch the eye, Swipe Swipe and Swipe, hope that somewhere out there is a good candidate to be Mr/Ms Right..

The way the system rolls, that is how we breath, we slowly become the kind of attention seekers this system wants us to be (hence probably all the weird things we see *) We become pickier thanks to the convenient change through a swipe. Its like we never take time to get to know the people, behind these constant comparisons, radars based on " interests", platonic questions and likes. 

If only all of us could Stop and think, get out there and slowly stop looking at the people around us trough this little tin, no marketing pages of human beings, just real life and clumsy shared stumbles that maybe.. perhaps.. lead to something big. 




















-


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go - Do it for You (about the fear of solo-travel, not about crossing the Serengeti)

Solo-travel and exploring on your own often seems to be something that's considered too big of  an hurdle, an  uncomfortable area we`d rather avoid. As wolves we are more comfortable in a pack. I used to think like this myself. The thing is however, that we often (as singles in a busy world) find ourselves alone when we would have the time for an adventure. Schedules don't fit.  - Then there's of-course the differences in interests as well, and as being without a partner no one is  "obligated" (please take with sarcasm :D) to go with you on your holiday to extraordinary locations and events.  But hey, that said; - what a perfect time for you to do exactly what you always dreamed of ! All I want to say is go for it.   Don't sit around waiting for "maybe another time" due to the fear, and I'm not talking about the fear of being scared that something might happen on the way (that doesn't seem to be the first thing that pops into

Grandpas legacy

My grandpa passed away some years ago. For a long time during my teenage years and some into adulthood I felt light-years away from him, in our morals and teachings to follow. I was only looking at him like a priest, with his bible, a hungry need for being in the spotlight (he was a well liked radio host, preacher, author, playwright, ceremony holder, documentary film maker, pilgrim arranger, met the pope once- you name it). When I was feeling down at the age of 17 he wrote me a letter about watching more of TV7 (a local conservative evangelical christian channel), he told me it made his days brighter and that I should try it too. PS. He was not conservative, I think. We never talked much- not really. He had 3 grandchildren.  I do not think that he ever really knew me, and neither did I take my time to view him as a person behind the priesthood which he so often talked about . But when I look back on him now- as I found myself and stand supported, I can see past the job he had chosen (

To all my busy friends, show up in my life too- it matters

I would run cartwheels right where I stood if you showed up at my doorstep, if you suddenly sat in the audience during my Indian dance or Improv theater performance.  I would remember it forever if you showed up at the airport to say goodbye for now or welcome back,  I would love for you to ask me where in the world I am at.  I would love for you to reach out to me and ask us to read the same book simultaneously and then meet over coffee to share our thoughts, It doesn't take much time out of your schedule or much effort of sorts, just a suggestion, a thought.  I would love to go out for a joint run or jog- maybe for once right here in my hood- you could use my studio apartments little one person shower,  My home, my little wonderful life- You know you are welcome here too.  Meet me in my life, see where I live and what I do, it might not be marriage and children, or a big suburban house with a yard, but it is me, your friend- still hanging on at the other end.  Someone who shows u