Skip to main content

Black Friday

5 for the price of 1, I mean why not- if you can get that.. might even need it later, and what a bargain ! Shop till you Drop... The world is filling up with things, stuff after stuff after stuff.. and then some more stuff just to sprinkle some on top. We are drowning.

Yes, it is nice to get new things sometimes, especially if its something we taught about for a long time....Im not trying to be political and im not the best at arguing a case, but allow yourself to think.. how much do you need it ?

Can we think twice ?

The past years Ive made a commitment, to only shop second hand.. may I say however that Food, Underwear, a recently published book I thought of for a long time or essentials that simply cant be found here are not included. The reason I do this (well besides the fact that Londons recycling scene is quite unique) is, well first of all the money and quality.. its really hard to argue with this lifestyle if you knew that you can find Levis Jeans for 5 pounds.. and in really good condition. And to compare with most things you could find in H&M for 20 pounds, something that has been worn before and still is without holes or signs of being used.
  But there are far more important reasons, the planet for starters, and its people, the factories, the conditions, the lives that are given for our 5th pair of cute boots. I do my best not to support it... and Yes.. I do realize that the reason these shops I go to is filled with all these things is because someone else bought them, and didnt need it. But I assure you.. there are much clothes and materials out there, lying around.. never used, waiting to be piled upon with even more pieces of clothing. I want to make use out of those things, the things that already have been produced.. Start using the clothing (and trash) that we already created... use that for what we need. now and for the future. Something designers could jump on more as well.

Another good deed that the shops here in London do, is that they donate the income to charities, charities ranging an from mental health, to homelessness, employing people with disabilities, animal welfare and mother earth. If the garment was already created, and the conditions might even have caused pain, it could at least be used again so that someone else could get spared from pain, get a better life this way. And if there are no charity shops where you live, think at least of how (if we all started doing the same) eventually that same woman or child, wouldn't have to sow another pair.
And yes..there is that question of making end meat, and I dont think its "just like that" easily solvable, people want it cheap.. but if we changed our values from cheap and many till few, fair and lasting (while hopefully not forgetting earth friendly, either by re-use or sustainable) I believe, with today's inventive culture, our world could come up with an solution.
There is also the sentence I´ve heard so many times.. " - It doesn't matter if I stop, leave one less print on the planet or do a good thing for someone else, Im just one person and things will continue to be the same"  but everything always started with a few here and there making a change, why not lead with an example, and maybe wed all more more conscious one day.

But dear friend, habitat of this planet earth, whatever you do, never consume more than you need, no matter the bargain, think of what your actions really speak.

And if it is happiness you are trying to achieve.. then is this over-consuming really what you need ?

Treasure hunt are fun and exciting, on that I can agree, but what if Black Friday Shopping could stand for something that does good for us all & builds the wild and beautiful on this earth back on its feet ?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go - Do it for You (about the fear of solo-travel, not about crossing the Serengeti)

Solo-travel and exploring on your own often seems to be something that's considered too big of  an hurdle, an  uncomfortable area we`d rather avoid. As wolves we are more comfortable in a pack. I used to think like this myself. The thing is however, that we often (as singles in a busy world) find ourselves alone when we would have the time for an adventure. Schedules don't fit.  - Then there's of-course the differences in interests as well, and as being without a partner no one is  "obligated" (please take with sarcasm :D) to go with you on your holiday to extraordinary locations and events.  But hey, that said; - what a perfect time for you to do exactly what you always dreamed of ! All I want to say is go for it.   Don't sit around waiting for "maybe another time" due to the fear, and I'm not talking about the fear of being scared that something might happen on the way (that doesn't seem to be the first thing that pops into

Grandpas legacy

My grandpa passed away some years ago. For a long time during my teenage years and some into adulthood I felt light-years away from him, in our morals and teachings to follow. I was only looking at him like a priest, with his bible, a hungry need for being in the spotlight (he was a well liked radio host, preacher, author, playwright, ceremony holder, documentary film maker, pilgrim arranger, met the pope once- you name it). When I was feeling down at the age of 17 he wrote me a letter about watching more of TV7 (a local conservative evangelical christian channel), he told me it made his days brighter and that I should try it too. PS. He was not conservative, I think. We never talked much- not really. He had 3 grandchildren.  I do not think that he ever really knew me, and neither did I take my time to view him as a person behind the priesthood which he so often talked about . But when I look back on him now- as I found myself and stand supported, I can see past the job he had chosen (

To all my busy friends, show up in my life too- it matters

I would run cartwheels right where I stood if you showed up at my doorstep, if you suddenly sat in the audience during my Indian dance or Improv theater performance.  I would remember it forever if you showed up at the airport to say goodbye for now or welcome back,  I would love for you to ask me where in the world I am at.  I would love for you to reach out to me and ask us to read the same book simultaneously and then meet over coffee to share our thoughts, It doesn't take much time out of your schedule or much effort of sorts, just a suggestion, a thought.  I would love to go out for a joint run or jog- maybe for once right here in my hood- you could use my studio apartments little one person shower,  My home, my little wonderful life- You know you are welcome here too.  Meet me in my life, see where I live and what I do, it might not be marriage and children, or a big suburban house with a yard, but it is me, your friend- still hanging on at the other end.  Someone who shows u