On the bus the seats are mastodon (chunky) and there is much legroom. We are maybe 10 on the bus, having another 5 hour journey. We have a break at a rest stop near Gumi, all in Korean but a fellow passenger informs me that the break is 15 min. I walk outside- have a exhibition tour of the toy vending machines. When I get back to the bus the old lady next to me is eating a ground meat pop-stickle before she tucks herself in for a nap.
My journey through rural and coastal South- Korea, following by a ferry ride across to Japan and then up to the middle, has officially begun. Around 2 weeks in total.
Gyeongju temples, some old, some restored, are glowing in the dark. I just checked in at my nautical themed hostel, we are inland with no harbor in sight. I have some cup noodles in the hostel kitchen before bed.
Quirky sweets, Pokemon bread, and bug shaped and colored tourist train runs through the nearby park. I have a smoothie at a nearby cafe, chocolate cookies and friendly made fried chicken, we love you they say as they chatter away, this adorable bubbly mama, happy translation, excitement, the Korean way.
The sanctuary of the Tripitaka Koreana is nestled up on a hill, I take a few busses to get here. If you want to travel like a local, but lack the language skills, prepare in advance, draw maps on your phone and paper, ask for guidance when possible, learn to use body language- and you can get there still. Trust your intuition, learn to see yourself as someone who can.
I had a lavender coffee in the temple cafe and walked many steps, sat with the sounds of peace and saw the colorful flags wave in the light breeze. Oh how I love places like these. I think I may be Buddhist, 40 % at least, no congregation- just a feeling, that sets me at ease.
Back in Gyeongju I was time for my final dinner. I walked into a popular local diner. Most things were sold out, but broth with some mixed pork and veggies was an option, spicy, warm Gamjatang, add your pieces from the plate in to the soup. By following the locals I knew what to do.
The next morning I checked out. With my backpack on my shoulder I headed for the farmers market, fish cakes and fruits, and salty store bought snacks. I catched the bus and train, arrived in Busan, a daytrip with a guide awaited at the station, me and a couple of girls, gardens, fishing house lunch on the floor, castles and a windmill right out of a anime fairytale. I arrived to the hostel tired, it was empty, but so were my batteries. I called it a night as my mattress electricity kept on humming.
Continue..
Comments
Post a Comment