Skip to main content

Pandemic Loneliness- or urgent drawn out need for chatter and Aperol Spritzer

Had life in your late -30s been like this ? Even before and without a global pandemic ? Perhaps it had, only now it is magnified, and drawn out..loneliness, livingaloneliness, ..gettingthatlastyearbeforethirtiness, ...onlypineconeinthecityness, ...boyfriendsstuckacrosstheatlanticness, ...childlessness.., leftbehindinlifeness..., ...fillingyourneedforbackpackbeforechildrenness..., cancelledhobbyness, ...bikingfromworktokeepactiveness, bakinga4thpiewhilewatingness..., sexlessness., ..........workingasmanyshiftsasyoucantopassthetimeeveniftherebarelyisanyness, (Ok I Am done now..) 

Waiting for stuff to happen (for what exactly I still do not know) when nothing can be planned and most activities are or will be cancelled anyway- and you have no-one to take that deep breath with and enjoy a nice chilled Aperol spritz with in the garden or on the balcony, it is a mellow time to pass. It all gets kind of into slow motion, sleepy, like soon it will be November, but the days are moving slower than ever. 
I walk to the grocery shop to get more food for 1 and rhubarb pie ingredients (for a 3rd or 4th time). I look around at the terraces on the sidewalk, it is noisy, messy, and A bum is pissing on his feet, one yells and calls me a whor..a really nice lady.. for not giving him money to buy more beer, seagulls, teenagers, redbull cans, rain.. and..swoosh the door behind be closes, I'm back indoors.. again. 

Why did I move back to this "cool hipster part of town", I hear myself questioning ever so often now.  

My friends are everywhere on this globe, in England, across the Atlantic, but also here at home.. but most are now far outside town with children of their own, with gardens in that other life zone. Others work in care, so nightshift (morning and evening) drowsiness is always there. To find time and place for a casual Wednesday or Saturday Aperol spritzer and chatter is not as easy as it once upon a time used to be. It is not just covid19- life changes and so (at least a little) do we. 

Their babies are cute though, but just yet that life is not for me.

But do not worry, there are things you as a slightly sad almost thirty year old childless long-distance widow in the city (to be read with slight self-irony) can do to fill any feeling of void or to catch any time slipping through your fingers. 
Yes, according to urban legends and rules you as a woman are on the last year of mesmarizing hoorays, doing (almost) whatever you want with your days. But remember that creating a family is optional and age is not your arch nemesis, My friends who have passed the gates of 30 says it grows on you.. becoming older is just more wisdom and luster. 

Either way, I will not stay indoors in my city studio every single day (only baking pie when it is raining, for the past 2 weeks, okay ?) I take kayak classes, sleep on islands in a tent, where my backpack and see my surroundings time an time again. I bike for miles a day (even sometimes at mitts the rain). I take part in local get-togethers, yoga, improv and urban garden cafes. 

But an Aperol Spritzer with some chatter, that would be nice,'
for old times sake. 

Other than that, I am doing okay.
Just simply taking this day by day. 


To add something more I am thankful for the safety, both me and my partner have jobs now (one temp across the ocean and one part-timer here where I am standing). I got to keep my job at the bookshop- despite cuts due to the pandemic. Organizing the shelves and giving multilingual advice on what newcomers to read, it suddenly hit me how thankful I am- this job was my dream. 
I have no children or teenagers to worry about and have energy left to help others if needed. I also get to work whenever I can as qualified in care, a field on a human level that will never disappear. 
I have a home, a nice cozy flat, the sea is near and I bought a "new" hat. The hat was less important, but it fitted right in. 
Anyway, I hope you're well, hold on.. you will get through this situation we're in. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Go - Do it for You (about the fear of solo-travel, not about crossing the Serengeti)

Solo-travel and exploring on your own often seems to be something that's considered too big of  an hurdle, an  uncomfortable area we`d rather avoid. As wolves we are more comfortable in a pack. I used to think like this myself. The thing is however, that we often (as singles in a busy world) find ourselves alone when we would have the time for an adventure. Schedules don't fit.  - Then there's of-course the differences in interests as well, and as being without a partner no one is  "obligated" (please take with sarcasm :D) to go with you on your holiday to extraordinary locations and events.  But hey, that said; - what a perfect time for you to do exactly what you always dreamed of ! All I want to say is go for it.   Don't sit around waiting for "maybe another time" due to the fear, and I'm not talking about the fear of being scared that something might happen on the way (that doesn't seem to be the first thing that pops into

Grandpas legacy

My grandpa passed away some years ago. For a long time during my teenage years and some into adulthood I felt light-years away from him, in our morals and teachings to follow. I was only looking at him like a priest, with his bible, a hungry need for being in the spotlight (he was a well liked radio host, preacher, author, playwright, ceremony holder, documentary film maker, pilgrim arranger, met the pope once- you name it). When I was feeling down at the age of 17 he wrote me a letter about watching more of TV7 (a local conservative evangelical christian channel), he told me it made his days brighter and that I should try it too. PS. He was not conservative, I think. We never talked much- not really. He had 3 grandchildren.  I do not think that he ever really knew me, and neither did I take my time to view him as a person behind the priesthood which he so often talked about . But when I look back on him now- as I found myself and stand supported, I can see past the job he had chosen (

To all my busy friends, show up in my life too- it matters

I would run cartwheels right where I stood if you showed up at my doorstep, if you suddenly sat in the audience during my Indian dance or Improv theater performance.  I would remember it forever if you showed up at the airport to say goodbye for now or welcome back,  I would love for you to ask me where in the world I am at.  I would love for you to reach out to me and ask us to read the same book simultaneously and then meet over coffee to share our thoughts, It doesn't take much time out of your schedule or much effort of sorts, just a suggestion, a thought.  I would love to go out for a joint run or jog- maybe for once right here in my hood- you could use my studio apartments little one person shower,  My home, my little wonderful life- You know you are welcome here too.  Meet me in my life, see where I live and what I do, it might not be marriage and children, or a big suburban house with a yard, but it is me, your friend- still hanging on at the other end.  Someone who shows u